Sunday, May 27, 2012

Basketball Diaries

There's no PT to speak of here (though the Bangladeshi officers do have to take a PT test), but twice a week, Josh stays late to participate in "games."  Over the course of the year, they'll rotate through lots of different organized sports including basketball, football (soccer), volleyball, tennis, etc.  Of course, they don't start games right after class gets out at 2:00 - instead they head home, eat lunch and then take a mid-day nap.  Seriously.  So games don't start until 5:00 which means Josh rarely sees the kids those days.  Sometimes he makes it home just in time to tuck them in to bed.

Today, after two or three weeks of preliminary matches, they held the finals for basketball.  While the game was interesting and fun to watch, I'm more of a people watcher.  I'm not sure if I've shared this before or not (maybe I need to start keeping track of what I blog about...), but the spouses here are required to attend social functions (of which a basketball game is one) and they are also "required" to wear saris to these functions.  There are a few exceptions listed in the instruction manual we got.  Sporting events are supposedly okay for wearing salwar kameez (the less formal long tunic top with baggy pants and dupatta/scarf).  So halfway through the day, Josh sent me a text to find out and approve of what I was wearing (and when does that EVER happen when we're stateside??).  I went in my nicest casual salwar kameez.  It is very lightweight cotton, and let's face it, it's hot here.  It's 8:00 pm as I write this, and my weather station tells me that it's 89 degrees outside.  Nice.  So, if I have to sit around somewhere and sweat (did I mention the game was outside), I'd rather do it in cotton.  Anyway, I got there and everyone else is wearing ridiculously nice saris full of beading and bedazzles.  I think what really put me over the top was the woman wearing twisted strands of pearls.  To a basketball game.  <sigh>  Oh well.  I don't pay their dry cleaning bills, so if they want to wear silky saris and sweat in them, they can feel free.  I will note by the way that they WERE all sweating.  Sometimes I go to these things, and I just feel like I'm not accustomed to the weather.  Today, they were all sweating.  So I felt a bit better.  Maybe I'm not such a wuss after all.

I returned home tonight to find the table set for dinner (minus food) and the kids' beds turned down with nightlights on.  So really, how bad can things be? ;)

1 comment:

  1. And I'll bet they took one look at you and wished they had been so smart! Not sure you'll ever acclimate to the heat and humidity, but on the bright side...sweating is good for you, and your body's natural way of staying cool! ;)

    ReplyDelete