Saturday, June 23, 2012

Whirlwind "Vacation"

Time with family?  Check.  Lots of unnecessary/necessary shopping?  Check.  Visit to the beach?  Check.  Our "vacation" is drawing to a close, but we've certainly packed quite a bit in.  Why the quotation marks, you ask?  Well...  and this might sound silly to some of you hard core military types who have spent years (literally) away from your spouses, but this is the longest I've been away from my other half in a while.  We've been extremely fortunate in our assignments, and with all of the school time required for this job, we've had quite a bit of time together recently.  So while it's nice to be stateside hanging out getting a tan, I can't relax completely knowing that one member of our family is missing.  Granted, he's spent some of this time hanging out with guy friends in Nepal (taxing, right?), but it's been a bit lonely without him.

Enough on that, though.  My sister's wedding was really wonderful and I was so pleased to have the opportunity to come home and celebrate with her and her new husband.  Best wishes to both of them as they head out to the great state of Texas to begin their new life together.  Finally, some of my knowledge about moving has come to good use!

We followed that up with a quick drive to Florida to hang out with the in-laws and managed to sneak in an absolutely idyllic stay in Rosemary Beach.  The Destin outlets were conveniently close (and really, why vacation anywhere unless there are good outlets nearby?) and I even managed to pick up a few things I think I'll be able to wear in Dhaka - assuming of course it hasn't gotten even hotter since I left.  B spent a bit of time in the pool and is quickly becoming proficient in swimming, though I think we're going to leave his vest on for a bit longer.  K had an "adventurous" time coming home with 2 chipped front teeth, plenty of mosquito bites, a black eye (from unknown causes), 2 scraped knees, and 1 scraped elbow.  She's really not that clumsy, but she does everything big.

I meanwhile have been completely spoiled with plenty of adults to mind my children (like having 3 full-time employees in my house in Dhaka hasn't been good enough) and enough free time to get out and enjoy myself.  I find I have an increased appreciation for home-cooked food, though I'm always up for some Costco cheese pizza.  Yum!

Just a few days left to pack in all the fun we can handle before we head back to the 'Desh.  Catch you guys on the other side of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment