Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Goodbye, Grandpa!

After a fun, relaxing week, I made a 0345 drive to the airport to drop off my dad Frida morning.  The kids had a blast hanging out with Grandpa all week, and it was nice to have an extra set of hands around while we all got settled into the house again.  We only managed to spend one day sight-seeing downtown because of Josh's school schedule, but even one day sitting in Dhaka traffic is more than enough ;)

We rounded out that day with a lunch at Captain's World near the old airport.  If you live here and haven't been yet, you really should go.  The food is ridiculously good, especially the garlic naan.  Yummy!

We also had a 4th of July celebration - Dhaka style.  There was a dinner buffet at the American club complete with arts and crafts, cotton candy, and monsoon rains.  Dinner was pulled pork, hot dogs, hamburgers, cole slaw, potato salad, baked beans, and fruit salad.  Great food, and "almost" like you'd get at home.  Almost.

--Break--

I wrote that first piece almost a week ago, but we've been having some technical difficulties on this end, so it has been sitting in my draft box gathering cyberdust.  It's been a bit of a long week here.  Josh has been involved in a week-long exercise here requiring additional time at work.  With Ramadan rapidly approaching, his classmates are trying to squeeze in all the social events they can, so we have Ladies Club, Social Night, and a Syndicate dinner all coming up this week.  Now, at the last minute, they've changed the schedule, and since I'd already finalized child care arrangements for all of the events, I'll end up missing out on 2 of them.  Is planning ahead really such a foreign (or domestic) concept?

I've wasted no time reacquainting myself with my friendly, neighborhood tailor.  They were pleased to show me all the new fabric they've gotten in since I last visited and were happy to hear that my relatives wanted to sample some of their work as well.  And so we have settled back in to some semblance of a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment