Thursday, September 15, 2011

Graduation and other big things

Well, not really other "big" things.  Little things - more on that later.  Josh graduated this morning!  His ceremony was at 9:30, so the kids and I were in a bit of a rush to get ready.  We normally don't do things before 10:00 because it takes them a while to ... I don't really know what.  All they really need to do is eat breakfast and get dressed.  But somehow it takes a long time.  So to have Josh at his ceremony 15 minutes early and have everyone in nice clothes was a stretch.  Luckily, we all made it.  B was only loud once (he didn't want to stand during the National Anthem, and I was pretty insistent that he WOULD stand).  K is feeling much better since she started her antibiotics yesterday (ear infection) and was pretty complacent as well.  They were both excited to see Daddy walk across the stage, and - I have to admit - it was nice to be in a military setting for a short time this morning.  Sadly, no pictures to share as I had my hands full with the kids (literally), but I promise he graduated.

But now for the fun news.  I took the kids to Michaels yesterday and we picked out materials to make bag tags for our suitcases.  B and K both agreed that blue and green were good colors, and K picked up a packet of pony beads to decorate hers with.  If the kids were older, I might actually try to teach them how to do this, but as it is, this will be a fun quick project for me.  I had been looking in to buying fluorescent (or some other distinctive color) tags for our bags so they'd be easy to recognize, but those ran anywhere from $8-25 a piece.  With the amount of luggage I anticipate toting around the world, I figured this would be much more cost effective.  And each of the kids can feel like they contributed.  I haven't made these in probably about 20 years though (credit to my cousin Marissa who taught me one summer), so I was a bit rusty.  My pace is picking up...  Just need to add my keychains on to these and they'll be suitcase ready.  And, by the way, if you're local, I had to buy 100 yd spools of this stuff, so I'll have a bit left over.  Let me know if you'd like to borrow some :)

No comments:

Post a Comment