Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Reservoir at East Pinnacles
It's been a busy weekend - first the unit Family Fun Fest and lunch with friends on Saturday followed by a half day hike at East Pinnacles today.  We were supposed to start off the fun fest with a "Fun Run."  A side note on this really quickly - I have been known in the past to state that there is no such thing as a "fun" run. I mean, there are lots of great ways to have fun.  Running is not one of them.  It's a necessary evil required only because I enjoy cooking (and then eating the fruits of my labor).  But back to my main point.  The fun run.  Josh and I showed up ready to run and then found out that the run was cancelled due to lack of interest.  See?  No one else thinks it's fun to run either!  The Fun Fest was totally worthwhile for at least one reason though - B finally managed to actually go inside a bounce house.  I know, I know.  Kids love them.  Except not mine.  He feigns extreme interest until the moment is upon him, and then he decides he just wants to watch.  And the worst part is this - I totally get it.  How easy is it in life to just watch from the sidelines instead of "jumping in", especially when you're doing something new for the first time?    

Picnic
Heading back into the caves
This morning, we decided to head around to the east entrance to Pinnacles National Monument to let B explore the second set of caves there.  Our trip out earlier in the week with my sister was to the west entrance which I have hiked 3 or 4 times.  The east side of the park was totally new to me, and definitely worth the trip.  The caves were more extensive and there was a beautiful reservoir at the turn-around point which provided a perfect backdrop for a picnic lunch.  This is just one of the many places I will miss when we leave...

No comments:

Post a Comment