Thursday, December 1, 2011

Moving Right Along

This morning we had our survey visit with the moving company.  We are scheduled to start our pack out in a little over 3 weeks.  It's really amazing how quickly all of this is moving along now.  We've received confirmation from the shipping office at the embassy that we are not authorized to ship food items in our consumables shipment, so I guess we'll have to ship snacks and things separately at our own expense.  I've also finally (I think) kick-started the search for a place for us to live.  I'm not sure if everyone just assumed that housing was tracking our arrival, but I'm pretty sure - reading through the lines mind you - that somehow we had been overlooked and they're not really sure where we're going to live when we arrive.  Luckily, we've still got some time on that one as we're taking quite a bit of leave prior to heading overseas.

I've managed to sell some of the furniture we're not planning on putting in to storage.  We were very close to our weight limit when we made our move here to CA - and it's not like people accumulate less things over time, so we decided to get rid of our guest room furniture.  That will save us a couple hundred pounds at least.  Plus, there are all the things I bought when we got here intending to get rid of when we left.  There's the outdoor playcube I passed along to another FAO family who has some time left here and the double jogging stroller that I inherited from a FAO that needs a new home before we leave.

I mentioned that we saw some antique furniture similar to ours in a previous post.  On that note, I have made contact with a furniture appraiser who is stopping by the house next week to do a formal appraisal.  Send that stuff in to the insurance company and we'll be ready to leave it all in storage.

The kids are scheduled to have their last medical checkups prior to leaving, and then all I need to do is pick up all of the records.  Slowly but surely, I'm ticking things off my list.

Last, but not least, I contacted my insurance company and made all necessary changes to cover our items in storage/overseas.  I also had them put a travel notice on our charge card, so we should not run into any issues of our card getting turned down.

Next up, plan our travel back east and make hotel reservations.  Oh yeah, and scan in every important document from our file cabinet so I don't have to bring that with us when we move.  The prospect is a bit daunting...

No comments:

Post a Comment